What is a Class40?
The Class40 is a monohull dedicated to offshore racing. This boat has existed since 2004 as an intermediate oceanic boat, between the Mini 650 (6.50m) and the 60-foot Imoca (18.24m).
A boat framed by a strict gauge:
– Maximum length: 12.19 m.
– Maximum width: 4.50 m.
– Maximum draft: 3 m.
– Maximum air draft: 19 m.
– Maximum displacement (weight): 4,500 kg.
– Maximum sail area: 115 m2.
– Ballasts: 1,500 liters.
– Fixed keel and mast (tilting keel and tilting mast prohibited).
– Maximum removable bowsprit: 2 m.
– Average freeboard: must be at least equal to 1.08 m.
– Daggerboard and foils prohibited.
– Several prohibited materials such as carbon and Kevlar.
Today more than 170 boats have left the sites with a panel of international architects and runners from all backgrounds of sailing, and even from other sport.